Saturday 8 April 2017

Scotland First Minister Nicola Sturgeon rules out quick election in order to achieve her independence bid

Scottish independence referendun

In order to ensure her independence referendum becomes a reality, Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has put aside any plan for a snap election.

The First Minister also stated that despite the rejection of a second indyref by the UK government, she will not engage in any legal battle with the government over the matter.

On the other hand, Theresa May has said it over and over that she will work out the best possible deal that will be okay for the whole of the UK during the Brexit negotiations, in order to deliver the democratic will of the British people. And that the proposed autumn 2018 to spring 2019 by Sturgeon would not be allowed.

Concerning any likely legal action or a snap election, Sturgeon stated that: “These are not the kinds of things I am thinking of.

“I’ve got a responsibility to lead the country.

“I was elected as first minister less than a year ago. I’ve got a responsibility to lead the country.

“We are very focused on getting growth in our economy and transforming education.

“These are things that continue to be my priorities - these sort of scenarios that are put to me are not the ones I am thinking (of), but I do have an idea of how I progress the will of parliament.”

She hit out at the stance being taken by Mrs May and said Scotland should have the chance to give its voice in a referendum vote.

Ms Sturgeon said: “I’m absolutely clear that the position of Theresa May, I just don’t think, is politically sustainable.


“If the Scottish Parliament is of the position, as it is because it has voted in this way, that Scotland should be given a choice - not now, but when the time is right, when there is clarity about Brexit and obviously when there is clarity also about independence - that we should have a choice about our future.

No comments:
Write comments