Sunday 4 December 2016

It will shock you to know that Wole Soyinka did not throw away his green card

Wole Soyinka

There is a difference between throwing away and destroying a document. If someone throws away an object or document, there is the chances that another person might find it somewhere, but when an object or document is cut into pieces. U cannot use it any more.

It so surprising when Wole Soyinka said he has thrown away his green card. Such a statement was in its totality at variance with him saying he was going to cut it. And Soyinka is not trying to play fast, he would have at least called some witnesses or at least the same media house he used to make such a threat he actually found difficult to fulfil.

It is believed that as a man of integrity when you make a public statement about such a sensitive issue publicly, you the fulfilment should not be done Nicodemusly if you really want the public to take you seriously. Rather than you postponing the fulfilment of your threat to 2017, and suddenly coming out to tell the world that you have already fulfilled it by throwing it away.

Soyinka said he would throw away his green card and depart the country if the Republican Presidential aspirant to the last month’s election, Donald Trump wins.

Afterwards, he had vowed to destroy the green card on Trump’s swearing in day, to protest against the Republican billionaire’s campaign speeches.

But he has now told Journalists in South Africa that, “I have already done it, I have disengaged (from the United States). I have done what I said I would do.


“I had a horror of what is to come with Trump… I threw away the (green) card, and I have relocated, and I’m back to where I have always been.”

No comments:
Write comments