Friday 4 November 2016

one of world richest black woman - Folorunso Alakija explains why she did not go to university

Folorunsho Alakija

If attaining a university degree automatically makes one rich, the world would have been full of too many billionaires, but research has shown that most university degree holders cannot even comfortably say they are millionaires not to talk of being billionaires.

A Nigerian billionaire and business mogul Folorunso Alakija finally reveals her reason for not going to the university. She stated that going to the university was never part of destiny, yet she has been able to attain her aspirations without any university degree. And today she is one world richest black woman.


She said this on Thursday at the Excellence in Leadership program, which is organised yearly by Daystar Christian Centre, Ikeja, Lagos.

The founder of Rose of Sharon motivated the audience by saying that she never allowed a lack of university education to suppress her dreams and ambition.

“If I had the opportunity of going to the university, maybe I would have come out with a second class upper or lower but that didn’t happen; that wasn’t to be my destiny,” she said.

“I would have loved to go to the university as we all know that university education is good but some of us who have not gone, it is not the end of the world”, she added.

Alakija to the audience that it was determination and hard work that helped her to climbed the success leather, as she was ever ready to pay the price of being where she is today.

“Having put my foot in the door, I decided I was not going to turn back”, she noted, revealing that when she had to file a lawsuit against the federal government for taking 50 out of her 60 percent equity, she remained determined. Though it took her 12 years to bring the case to conclusion, determination and patience helped her at the end

The oil magnate noted that she is a product of hard work, sweat, tears, and tenacity, stressing that she’s not an overnight success.


“A lot of things have been said about me, some say I sold my way to the top; I remember that the headline of one of the national dailies in the country once said ‘Hairdresser given an oil block’. So I even became a hairdresser, one of the many names I was given”, she said.

No comments:
Write comments